Hunting coins at public places is not only a pleasurable pastime but also rewarding. Places that are frequented by the public all day are hubs of lost coins. With the right metal detector, this hobby can be a profitable pursuit. How? Imagine stumbling upon some historically significant metal objects or silver coins.
Whether or not you chance upon historical relics is contingent on luck! But putting aside the fortune, the sport in itself is extremely enjoyable. In fact, people of all ages can derive pleasure from this activity.
But to get the most out of this, you must own an effective and the best metal detector for coins. The job of finding the perfect match can be utterly difficult because the market is inundated with useless products in a cheaper price. If you fall into the trap, you will end up losing money on something that is a huge disappointment at the end of the day.
There are a plethora of things to consider before buying a metal detector. You have to have a good idea about the settings or learn the directives to detect metals in highly mineralized soils. These points will be discussed after presenting a comprehensive review of five best metal detectors for coins. Additional common queries will also be answered in the FAQ section.
So, let’s begin!
Best Metal Detector for Coins Comparison:
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter TK4
OMMO Metal Detector
1. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
Many people look for metal detectors that are suitable for any stretch of land. Some detectors can have great detection ability, but they can only be used in dry areas. For any user, this is highly inconvenient if different detectors are needed for different places. Not to mention, this is a total buzzkill!
If you require an all-in-one detector that is applicable for any terrain, Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector should be your go-to. With this device, you will be able to find excellent relics even from under the water. In one word, they can be used anywhere! Be it a park or a beach, the detector can be used to locate coins if kept in the right setting.
That means, in order to treasure-hunt in the regular beaches or in the black sand beaches, you need to adjust your settings. That will ensure high and efficient performance.
More information about this versatile item is in the following:
- Water-resistant: The detector can be used in any area, starting from wet grounds to freshwater bodies to beaches. You can dip it up to 10 feet into the water to find your targets.
- Detection and discrimination: Garrett AT Pro can easily distinguish between coins and trash. The device comes with a touch screen where you can select iron to discriminate it from unwanted materials. There are 40 levels for this specific task. When you come near your target, your buzzer sets off and indicates you to collect your desired coins.
- IDs for different targets: You will receive digital identification codes for various targets. There is a scale of 0 to 99 for each target based on their level of conductivity. There is an in-built analyzer for this specific task.
- 15 kHz: This frequency level will enable you to find old jewelry, gold rings and nuggets and small coins.
- Dimensions: The product is 22” x 11” x 5” and weighs 3.02lbs
- Settings for different grounds: You can adjust your detector on the basis of the ground you choose to work with. There is both automatic and manual balancing options which will allow greater performance at adverse sites or in mineralized soils.
- Depth detector: This feature will detect how deep is your coins located below the surface
- Battery lifespan: The device will also indicate the life of its battery on a regular basis.
2. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
With a coil of 8 inches, Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV metal detector can pinpoint any type of metal within its range. This powerful machine will help you collect all sorts of objects, such as iron materials, small coins and even pieces of gold and silver if you’re lucky.
And the good news is that you can also put the coil under the water without worrying because the coil is waterproof. Its efficient target discrimination ability and easier manual make the device one of the best metal detectors for coins.
- Dimensions: The product is 28.25 x 10 x 6.25 inches and has a weight of 3.7 lbs
- Option for discrimination: It can detect larger targets from maximum of 3 feet beneath the ground. The two audio beeps will help you with detection. There is a disc control option that can filter out the trash
- 6.7 kHz: This is a fairly decent frequency that can locate any metal underground
- 8 inches water-resistant coil: The coil can be dipped into the water. The radius of the coil helps greatly with finding coins
3. White's Coinmaster Metal Detector
Everyone prefers a metal detector that is easy to operate. At times, too many complicated settings and options perplex the users and this eventually leads to a lack of interest in the product. White's Coinmaster Metal Detector is free of all the complexities. If you are looking for quality at a reasonable price, consider buying White's Coinmaster Metal Detector.
Its ground balancing modes makes the task a lot enjoyable. Except for some extreme terrains, this device can be taken anywhere to carry out your hunting expedition. Note that you can also adjust the setting to make it apt for different grounds and depths. The discrimination options will moreover allow you to mute the audio buzzers for items you don’t want to dig out.
- Identifying depth: There is a screen attached to the shaft that reads how far down you have to dig to find your target
- Dimensions: With 44 x 9.5 x 12 inches as dimensions, the device weighs 4.19 lbs.
- Pinpointing: The detector can pinpoint your hidden treasure and beeps when it comes closer to the target. There are two options for conducting the search. One is based on motion, while the other is on non-motion.
- Tuning for Extreme Terrains: Adjusting the setting is required in case of working at special spots, especially at locations that are adverse and difficult
- 8 kHz frequency: With this frequency, you can find your desired target without much hardship. Select categories such as coins or trash. The discrimination mode and depth identification are handy features as well.
- Target Identification: With this feature, you can learn and even listen about the type of target nearby. You can also read how deep inside your item is located.
4. Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector
Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector offers 9 types of categories for identifying targets. Its fine discrimination and pinpoint ability, sensitivity and simpler interface help it carve out a space on the list of the best metal detectors for coins. Besides, there are 4 types of beeping installed to help you with the identification. And the best thing about this detector is that you can custom change the tunes to suit your taste! You can lower or increase the volume.
As can be seen in its title, Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector is indeed weatherproof. You can use it during any weather condition. The target or item ID is also divided into 0 to 99 scale. In short, Fisher F22 Weatherproof Metal Detector can give you the best user experience.
- Dimensions: The dimensions include 22 x 8 x 5 inches and the overall item is 3 lbs
- Weatherproof: The all-purpose device can come in handy during any weather. It can locate all sorts of metals and relics too
- Battery: You need to collect double-A batteries to operate the machine. This way the battery will last more than 25 to 30 hours at a stretch. You will also be notified if the battery dies.
- Graphic Target Identification: The nine-category identification system is visual, whereas there is also a numerical system that serves a similar purpose
- 9 inches Coil: The search-coil is 9 inches and thus beneficial for hunting coins. You can find jewelry, small coins, relics and artifacts with this detector
- Special Icon for Iron Detection: There is a designated icon for identifying irons. This comes with buzzers that can be adjusted to ease the task
5. OMMO Metal Detector for Adults and Kids
Finding the metal detector of your choice can be cumbersome. It entails specific knowledge about certain features. The best metal detectors for coins need to have a few standard qualities, such as the ability to pinpoint, detect, discriminate and make noise when brought near the target. OMMO Metal Detector for Adults and Kids fit these criteria.
As you might have already guessed, this metal detector is not confined to any age groups. Both adults and children can enjoy its manifold options. This machine is swift and can locate any metal with its efficient search coil. When the coil comes near the object, it makes loud sounds to signal you. This feature is specifically useful at places where you have to dig out our hidden treasures! From gardens to beaches to hilly areas, this detector can be your great companion without any doubt.
- Clear LCD Screen: Curious about where to look for information regarding depth or the level of sensitivity? You can find all of these data on the screen. Moreover, the battery life is also displayed there. The clear interface avails you easy to understand cues on the detection and target identification.
- Water-resistant 10” Coil: The 10 inches coil is great for use under the water or the ground. That means, beach exploration is on! Just make sure that your screen is saved from water and you are good to go!
- Pinpointing Ability: The ability to pinpoint is the most important feature in a metal detector. While the DISC option helps you distinguish between the type of metal, pinpoint helps you spot your target. And suffice it to say that the buzzer will go off when the coil comes near the desired hidden object.
- Adjustable Shaft: There is ergonomic and comfortable arm support and an adjustable shaft. You can extend the arm to 37 to 49 inches. As the device can be used by both adults and kids, this feature is undoubtedly useful.
Buyer’s Guide and Things to Keep in Mind:
Having reviewed a few of the best metal detectors for coins, we feel obliged to share with you some words of wisdom before you head out for shopping. There are a number of important specifications that you need to keep in mind while buying the metal detector of your choice.
In general, metal detectors are designed to locate coins. And any detector can do that despite their brand. However, what’s different is their efficiency level which varies from one detector to another. So, buy wisely to avoid spending too much money on mediocre products.
Followings are a few points to ponder to help you make an informed decision.
Let’s begin with frequency
To buy a metal detector, the first thing that you must familiarize yourself with is frequency. There is a wide range of frequencies available for the machines. The lowest of the frequencies is 2-5 kHz. You may write it off as inefficient. But this seemingly and comparatively small frequency level can aptly detect depth. Coupled with a smaller coil, this frequency can bring out tiny targets, such as small coins, out of unwanted materials. If you are looking for a bigger coin hunting expedition, be sure to keep a larger search coil.
With 6-8 kНz, you can locate conductive or iron targets from beneath the depth of the ground. Even if your targets are 2 to 10 inches deep into the soil, you can reach them using these frequencies. If you think that your coin detectors will only detect coins, you are wrong. They are capable of finding iron relics, nails, nuts and bots and jewelry too!
For far more ambitious projects, you will require more frequency as well as sensitivity. These frequencies can be between 10 to 20 kHz. With these, you can dig up nuggets of gold as well! Not to mention, you can find coins too. Remember that the diameter of the search-coil must be kept into consideration for best outcomes. The larger the coil is, the better the detection will be.
Know your search-coil
The shape and diameter of the search-coil also play a huge part in getting a good service. To pinpoint your target, most people prefer rounded coils as they have a greater sensitivity. But keep in mind that these circular coils are not perfect in extreme situations like for mineralized soils.
If you are into the fun stuff and an average user, these coils will do you fine. But if you are more into collecting valuable like gold nuggets or relics, get yourself a DD coil instead of a round one.
Why discrimination is important
Discrimination helps you to differentiate between trash and metals. Once you put the junk out of the way, you are more likely to reach your goal: in this case, your precious coins! Buyers who emphasize on accuracy should go for VLF metal detectors.
But those who are keen on finding golds must be prepared for deeper excavations. In such cases, Pulse Induction aka PI metal detectors are the best. These specialized devices are not for everyday use or for hunting coins. These are tailor-made for tracking gold objects. However, they can scarcely discriminate.
Sometimes your screen shows the same sign or beeps in case of unwanted objects such as screw-caps. To avoid digging up the soil just to stumble upon these useless finds, you need to make certain adjustments to your setting, for example having an enhanced discrimination or upgrading the ferrous resolution.
Pinpoint your target
After detecting your target, you need to pinpoint where it is located in order to avoid unnecessarily digging up a large area of land. This surely saves up time and effort. The best metal detectors for coins have this feature which allows optimal performance.
The rounder your search-coil is, the more accurately you will be able to pinpoint. You need to be adroit at this task. Otherwise, if your hand is shaky, you won’t be able to perform the task with ease.
Managing your ground balance
Hunting coins on mineralized grounds can be tricky. Sometimes regular detectors start to act out when brought near mineral-rich soil. The task becomes even harder when wrong buzzers go off incessantly. This is enough to drive you crazy and you are instantly discouraged. These problems can be solved if you buy a metal detector that has a feature called ‘ground balance’. With this, you will be able to remove the unnecessary signals you get for different minerals.
Run-off-the-mill detectors do not have this feature. If you are new to this field and want to explore the newfound hobby, you can start with the cheaper ones. But if you are into professional and serious use, refer back to the list of 5 best metal detectors for coins above.
Expert Response to FAQs
Can the metal detectors find silver coins? If yes, which one is the best metal detector for this activity?
Having a profound conductivity, silver coins can be located even with metal detectors that have lower frequency level. Old coins are situated deeper within the ground and so you need to select a detector that can pinpoint the target from a long distance. Remember to adjust the setting, tune the parameters, and have a detector with a greater sensitivity for this task.
These will ensure accuracy and precision when your control screen will try to read what’s buried beneath. Most of the detectors on the list are best suited for this endeavor.
What is the best location for spotting old coins?
Choosing the right location adds to the hunting experience. Old and abandoned places are popular sites for finding old relics and coins. You can go to historical sites, old buildings, religious institutions, and other public places to get hold of old coins.
Can you take coin hunting as a profession?
Generally, most people take up coin hunting as a pastime rather than a profession. That being said, there are professional coin hunters who actually make money out of this activity. Expertise in this task requires you to own an efficient metal detector at first. And then you must be smart while selecting the location.
Aside from these, keep into consideration the cost when you have to travel to different places. You have to dedicate some time for research. For example, the geology and even history of a place can tell you a lot about the type of target you can expect.
Just make sure you have a collection of metal detectors and necessary gears to carry out such ventures.
Last Few Words
All these valuable tips should be kept in mind when you attempt to purchase your metal detector. As a beginner, strive for buying one of the best metal detectors for coins. Take an informed decision and everything will fall into place. A quality detector enhances the user experience. If you are new in the field, begin with the mid-range detector and get used to it first. After that, you can always upgrade your gear. If you’re already an expert hunter, these detectors are tailor-made just for you! Go through the guide and take your own decision.