Children have special interests in games that involve treasure hunts. And what can be handier than metal detectors to ease such pursuits! If you think that the only perk of having these gadgets is that they encourage your children to play outdoors, you are wrong. Metal detectors come with manifold benefits. Apart from being educational, they allow you some bonding opportunities between parents and children.
But the hardest part is finding the perfect metal detector that is suitable for your child. You don’t want to end up buying sleek toys that can barely detect coins. Well, that defeats the purpose in the first place, right?
Lack of careful considerations can lead to spending a lot of money on useless products. And the cherry on top is that the market is full of gimmicks and, without proper guidance, it is indeed hard to land the right choice.
To ease your selection, we have hand-picked six best metal detectors for your kids. On the one hand, these brands are trusted and reasonable. On the other hand, they are of state-of-the-art quality. So, readers! Your precious time has been saved! With these technological wonders, you will be able to detect coins, parts of metals and buried gems like jewelry or even relics!
Best Metal Detector for Kids Comparison:
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior
Bounty Hunter Junior
OMMO Metal Detector
ExploreOne Metal Detector
EXPLORE ONE Store
Metal Detector for Kids
RM RICOMAX Store
DR.ÖTEK Junior Metal Detector
6 Best Metal Detector for Kids Review
1. NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector
When it comes to choosing the best metal detectors for kids, National Geographic Junior Metal Detector nestles at the top of any chart. It is the most convenient of all for beginners due to its easy functionalities. But that doesn’t mean it lacks in the technical side.
In fact, the metal detector can sift out small coins from 6 inches underground and can bring out bigger metals from under one foot. Not to mention, kids can carry it around easily. Developed by Minelab, National Geographic Junior Metal is the best choice in the market. The company is well-known and trusted for their quality products.
If you prefer an easier manual, this machine is just for you. The metal detector has a handful of buttons and a clear LCD display, making it user-friendly for anyone. With the screen, you will be able to keep track of the battery and can detect how far down is your target. This indeed is a remarkable feature that eases your ventures.
Speaking of how it can be operated, the screen displays an icon that indicates find. This icon will give you some suggestions regarding what you may have found. This way you will be able to filter unnecessary items or garbage out.
Do you know that National Geographic Junior Metal Detector has a pinpointer that beeps loudly when you come closer to your find or target? This is a unique feature that is absent in the run-off-the-mill detectors. With the beeping going, you will know when and where to begin your sacred excavation! Are you an adult who’s into fun stuff? Then this is the best metal detector for you too!
- 7.5 inches Dual Coil: The coil is waterproof and the metal detector creates loud beeps when it finds metal objects. And not only that, it flashes lights too! It can locate coins from under 6 inches in the ground. As for objects that are bigger, the detector can locate them up to one foot under the ground.
- Powered by AA batteries: The machine needs three double-A batteries.
- Dimensions of the Product: Being 26” x 10.25” x 4”, the detector has one telescopic arm that is adjustable. It moreover offers a strap for the arm. This makes the user experience comfortable and fantastic.
- Weighs light: The overall product weighs 1.4 pounds and 24 inches in length if you keep the dual coils folded and take out the arm support.
- Preferred User Age: The item is intended for children between 7 to 8 years and above. But adults equally use and enjoy its benefits.
2. Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D. Metal Detector
This extremely lightweight detector can locate metal coins up to 5 inches deep and larger metals that are situated deeper underground. Apart from its capability to distinguish between metals and trash, it can identify its target in a much faster way. Not only these, the Bounty Hunter Junior TID also comes with many more incredible features. It can indicate the depth of your target and can also tell the type of object it has detected. The detected materials are displayed on the screen in the form of emojis.
Placed inside a wonderful packaging, the metal detector piques the curiosity of young children at first glance. So how to determine the type of metal found? Well, the screen shows three types of emojis:
- Smiley: When your detector finds silver and copper coins or a piece of jewelry that is made up of silver, your screen displays a smiley and deeps in the loudest tune.
- Sad Face: When your detector locates an iron object, it deeps in the lowest tune and shows a sad face. The irons include nuts, bolts or even screws.
- Question Mark: You receive a question mark after you detect unwanted objects, such as trash. The tune you get now is a medium ranged beep.
- Dimensions: With its 31 x 6.5 x 9 inches, this item can be adjusted into any lengths. As for the weight, this detector is light and portable. The overall weight is about 1.1 lbs.
- 6” Coil: The six inches coil is waterproof
- 3 emojis for 3 types of detection: This device can identify three types of objects hidden under the ground. With its easy interface, children can easily understand whether their target is metal, coin or trash.
- 3 Types of beeping: Just like the emojis, each target has designated tones. The beeping varies from high to low pitches based on the material it has located.
- Indicator for identifying depth: Besides beeping and detecting the types of objects, this machine can also determine the location of the targets.
- Filtering out the trash: As the device can tell the type of metal detected, it can also ensure no unwanted object has been pulled out.
- Signals for changing batteries: When the batteries need to be changed, the device will notify you. For the Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D. metal detector, you need to get hold of double-A batteries.
3. OMMO Metal Detector for Adults and Kids
This third type of metal detector is best for adults and children alike. With this professional-quality detector, anyone can scavenge for hidden treasures on your lawns, or backyards, beach areas and even hilly areas. You may end up collecting valuable relics or maybe a piece of gold jewelry. One never knows!
It has the largest coil of about 10 inches and the arm support is also adjustable. Not to mention, it can be operated without much difficulty.
- LCD Screen: The screen offers you information regarding how deep is the target located, how much battery has been drained or whether or not you need to change your batteries.
- Item dimensions: The dimensions of the detector are 17.7 x 13.6 x 5.4” and it weighs about 6.64 lbs.
- Pinpointing an object: This device can pinpoint where your buried treasure is located and beeps so that you can start digging. Its other features include identifying many sorts of objects like coins, old jewelry, objects made of silver, etc.
- The coil is water-resistant: Its coil is 10 inches and its body length can be changed or adjusted based on the user’s preferences.
- Special giveaways: If you are interested to buy this device, look for websites or brick and mortar stores that provide special offers. If you can find the right and reliable store, you may end up getting batteries, headphones and many more exciting offers—all in a nice package!
4. ExploreOne Metal Detector for Kids
Are you looking for a metal detector that is user-friendly and efficient at the same time? Then Explore One Metal detector is your go-to device. This device can find metals that are buried 6 inches deep. While it detects the metal, it beeps loud and clear. Different sounds are set for different types of metals to help you identify what’s hidden beneath. What’s more? It projects lights during nighttime adventures!
The machine is waterproof and so your kids can arrange explorations not only underground but also in wetlands. Good news! Now you can look for your treasures in the puddles too! You can moreover adjust the length of your metal detector. So, if you’re opting for a detector that is reasonable in price as well as professional in quality, Explore One Metal detector is one of the best metal detectors for kids.
- Ranges of depth: The detector can locate materials that are maximum 6 inches deep below the surface. It can find coins, rings made of gold and silver, etc.
- Dimensions of the item: With dimensions: 23.5 x 2.75 x 7.25”, Explore One Metal detector is 1.5 pounds in weight.
- Waterproof: This device is water-resistant and therefore it can be used to look for objects anywhere, be it dry areas or moist ones. And you don’t need to worry about bad weather either. With this detector, you can play during rainy seasons as well.
- Length that you can adjust: Explore One Metal detector is for users of any age. If you are an adult, you can adjust its length into your height. All you have to do is press on the lock and let the metal come out. With its adjustability, you can reach the ground standing and without many hurdles.
- Various beeps for various metals: When your coil comes near your target it starts to beep and beeps even louder when you go closer to that object. Explore One Metal detector has specific tones set for specific objects. Based on the type of metal, you get different sounds.
5. Kid Metal Detector Junior 7.4 Inch Waterproof
Sometimes children want to play outdoors while its cloudy outside. Most metal detectors are not good for playing in bad weather. But Kid Metal Detector Junior is the right match for these kinds of ventures. With this device, kids can play in your garden or a park regardless of the weather.
The operation is quite easy, to begin with. The screen displays an arrow when the detector is near a metal object. This makes it easier for children to operate the device. If you want to tag along with your kids, you can adjust the stem based on your height as well.
- Water-resistant coils: The 7.4 inches coil eases the metal detecting ventures. Besides the coil, the stem can be adjusted to any length.
- Good for any weather: The detectors can be played with at any weather condition.
- Detection arrow and buzzer: As your detector comes closer to the target, an arrow appears on the screen and this symbol indicates that you have reached your target. This time, the buzzer sets off and, as you draw closer, the buzzing increases.
- Dimensions: This 2.5 x 7 x 29 inches and 2 lbs device gives you a scope for bonding with your children or younger siblings
- Adjustable length: The length can be adjusted as it ranges from 24 to 35 inches. With one click, your kids can play with it with delight and ease. The coils are also foldable.
6. DR.ÖTEK Junior Metal Detector for Kids
Want to explore the rivers too? DR.ÖTEK Junior metal detector can make that happen because this machine offers a water-resistant coil. But beware to keep the control panel dry. It has a wonderful feature when it comes to the display. During your treasure hunt, your kids can spot a bullseye on the LCD screen if your detector comes close to a metal object. This surely is fun and exciting for children!
Tired of all the digging and dusting? Well, this device will help you with that. Children who are not fond of spending their time excavating, they can find their targets at 2-3 inches deep below the ground. The detector makes noises to notify you of the hidden objects once it gets closer to the metal.
Speaking of durability, DR.ÖTEK Junior metal detector can resist impact. If you’re worried that your children may drop and damage it, your solution lies in this device. DR.ÖTEK Junior can put up with being dropped on grounds hard as rock or even resist the impact of being hit and smashed at your opponent during fights between siblings!
- Dimensions: The dimensions go: 21.3 x 8.8 x 5.4 in inches and its weight is 2.29 pounds
- Different lights for different materials: This metal detector has a special feature. It gives out different colors of lights when it comes closer to different types of objects. Needless to say, its RGB lights come in handy at dark. The pinpoint feature makes the task even easier and saves time as well.
- 8.3” Water-resistant coil: You can look for treasures not just underground but also under the water. This coil is waterproof and 8.3 inches. However, note that the display must be protected from water drops.
- Adjustable body: The length can be adjusted to suit the height of its user. It ranges from 28 to 37 inches and so it is a good option for both adults and kids.
- 3 Types of buzzers: Different buzzers set off when they come in contact with different objects. The buzzing ranges from being loud to medium and the quiet.
Buyer’s Guide and Things to Keep in Mind:
Now that you are aware of the best metal detectors for kids, it’s time you learn how to operate the device before handing it over to the children. This way you will be able to avoid injuries and get the best possible outcomes out of these wondrous gadgets.
And not just the operation, you need to be cautious about the area where your children run these special errands as well. A few tips and tricks will save you an hour-long tantrum or boredom. Always keep in mind that your choice of area or site has a considerable impact on the pleasure derived from this sport. So how does that work? Below are a few suggestions tailor-made for you.
Choose a public place that has many options for your child
It is common knowledge that most children have a comparatively shorter attention span than regular adults. Along with that, they are much more energetic and exuberant. If you don’t want to ruin after your child all day, choose a spot where there are many options available to keep your child busy.
Your best option is public parks or a garden that has swings and perhaps a trampoline. The more options, the better. These facilities will keep them busy. Also, note that public places are filled with lost items as well as relics because these places are frequented by many people every day.
Don’t forget to take snacks with you and you will be good to go! These activities will keep your children hooked and after playing and hunting treasures there will be snacks ready at hand. No extra effort is needed.
Your backyard or garden is nothing short of a public park!
As public parks and playgrounds are punctuated with seating arrangements, swings and kiosks, these places are the best for treasure-hunting expeditions. Often other children leave their playthings behind or keep them buried underground while playing and forget to take them home. That being said, your own yard can be an excellent place for playing around with a metal detector.
To make that happen, all you have to do is make some arrangements. You can secretly bury some coins down or some metal objects at places. This will allow you to bond with your children. Who doesn’t like the gleam in their children’s eyes when they can detect some treasure themselves!
If are not into all that work, your garden is already a hub of hidden treasures in itself. You never know your children may spot your lost golden ring buried under the flowerbeds. Most importantly, this will help the children get a hold of the sport before they play at public areas.
Make the sport challenging
This option is for children who are eight years and above. These age groups opt for challenges in games. This is not only stimulating for them but also worthwhile.
The challenges lie in the rules. First, you can hide old rings or rusty metal objects like nails and used soda cans underground at different places. You have to do this when your child is not around. Needless to say, you have to keep this part to yourself, for the sake of the game! Now the next stage is letting your children look for the objects. Now the most interesting part is when your child finds each object, keeps them noted on a paper or cellphone and keeps the levels of detection and discrimination between objects checked.
Worried if the models are larger for your child?
The models listed above are all adjustable. Now there are many detectors present in the market that do not come with this facility. Hence without proper homework, you may end up buying a product that is either larger or smaller for your child.
This selection of metal detectors allows you to adjust the shaft as your child grows taller. In case of growing bored of the device, the detectors offer a breadth of options and settings that will keep your child riveted to the device for a good amount of time.
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs
Having an informed decision before buying anything is always wise. To make your quest even simpler, we have listed some frequently asked queries below. Perhaps the answers to many of your questions lie in the following.
Which objects do the detectors generally find?
The easy answer is anything that is composed of metal. You should keep in mind that these detectors are specifically for children. Thus, proclaiming that they function as great as the industrial-grade professional detectors for adults is of course far-fetched. Having said that, these models work best for children.
They can detect any metal object buried a few inches deep below the ground. The detectors will locate a range of materials such as rusty nails, old soda cans, gold and silver rings, tin foils, etc.
Make sure your child knows how to operate the detector. Go through the instructions properly before you teach your children how it works. YouTube tutorials can also help you in this process.
Lastly, what your device will detect depends heavily on the area you choose to play in. The type of ground or soil is also of paramount importance. With the perfect depth, settings and location ensured, you will be able to find gems with these marvelous devices! -
Will I be able to play with it on a beach or by a river?
The given list of metal detectors is water-resistant. But you must know that the coils can be dipped into the water, but the rest of the body must be protected. Generally, the shaft of a metal detector is not waterproof. Therefore, if your children drop it in the water, the machine will be dead for good. Check our beach metal detector guide for more information.
Some metal detector models are good for any weather. They can resist rain and wet earth, but their control box must be saved from the water. Remember that at the dry spots, these problems won’t arise in the first place. So, choose your location wisely.
Can I locate gold with the detectors?
Not all metal detectors are well-suited for gold finding expeditions. There are specific detectors for that purpose. The listed metal detectors can find metals of all sorts. But they sometimes face difficulties in finding gold that is mostly found on grounds that are heavily mineralized. If you can be happy with finding gold rings or nuggets, these detectors are the best!
We understand that finding the right detector for your children can be difficult. While this pastime is a rewarding engagement, most metal detectors in the stores are not up to the mark. Some of them cannot even find a single object. Therefore, taking some time to choose the best detector is crucial. To lessen your hassle, I wrote the article. This article is a result of my years of experience and reflection of other experts in the business.
So, I would definitely recommend you get one our picks without any hesitation. Before you buy you can never know whether or not your child will take a liking towards this hobby. If they do, they will have a great deal of fun. The provided list of detectors can offer you satisfactory service at a reasonable price.